On Facebook, Newt Gingrich, a Ph.D. historian, has posted 15 short video lectures on the What Ifs of World War II and the run-up to it.
- Winston Churchill did not become British Prime Minister in WWII?
- Hitler was assassinated in 1937 or 1938?
- Germans took control of Malta?
- Franco allowed Germans to march through Spain and take Gibraltar?
- Japan attacked the Soviet Union instead of the US in 1941 at Pearl Harbor?
- Japan pressed their advantage after Pearl Harbor, ignored Midway, moved toward Alaska and US west coast?
- Japan won the Battle of Midway?
- Hitler did not declare war on the US?
- Allies invaded southern France instead of Normandy?
- Allies hadn’t invaded Normandy?
- D-day failed?
- Britain surrendered to Hitler?
- Eisenhower gave Patton permission to defeat the Soviets?
- WWII did not end in an armistice?
- Truman did not use the atomic bomb on Japan?